Followers

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Update, June 28th, 2011

Hi everyone!  Been awhile since an update.  I must admit, I got lost in Fallout: New Vegas.  Again. 

At any rate, the review for Doom, the last game that you guys voted for (well, one of you did and it won the tie-breaker) is completed.

Also, you will notice that you have to log in to Blogger to comment.  No worries, if you don't have a Blogger account, they're free. 

Back onto the reason for this update:  The Doom review.  It can be found here.

While my review may come across as biased (and it is, I hold Doom with the highest level of esteem because few games have ever raised the bar so high), my perspective is also different because I've made a few mods for the game as well, and I briefly mention that in the review.

If you've never played the game, you really should.  It's cheap, there's a crapload of quality user-made stuff for it and the multiplayer, as simple as it is, is frickin' amazing.

And of course, the source mods make what is old new again.

The ones I recommend are EDGE and ZDoom, and they're very easy to set up.  Pretty much, you dump it into the directory where your main game file is (a .wad, or WADfile) and then run the executable for the source mod.

The only source mod I would recommend you stay away from is Doom 95, aka WinDoom (it's the one that comes with Doom: Collector's Edition).  Mouse support is broken and I've had some major stability issues.

On that note, have a good weekend, everyone.  In case I don't add anything until later next month, happy Canada Day (July 1st) to my fellow Canucks and happy Independence Day (July 4th) to my neighbours to the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment